Friday 12 September 2014

Music Meets Prose: The Audition (Part 2)


Music Meets Prose is our weekly bite-size prose feature on fictional stories inspired by real life behind-the-scenes events in the music industry. Our first prose is The Audition a three-part short storyLook out for our prose features every Friday.

The Audition
Written by Bemi
Abstract artwork by Zaahira

(Click here for Part 1)

Part 2

You know how women make a mental list of everything they want in an ideal partner, then as the years role by, they age, reality sinks in, and the inevitable happens - some attributes they deem unrealistic gets crossed off the list. Well, Mike was atypical, he had every character a woman would find endearing – good looks, charm, well-educated, career driven, compassionate, kind…and the list goes on. He didn’t try to be the good guy - he simply didn’t know how to be any different. Mike’s father passed away when he was six years old, his young mother raised Mike and his two younger sisters as a single parent. She moulded him into a responsible man; coupled with having first-hand experience of his sisters’ emotional rollercoasters and relationship issues – he simply understood the female gender – he understood me and could read my thoughts just from my non-verbal cues. Hence, I had to think hard and come up with a good excuse for going out alone tonight!

I was wary from auditions - I needed a breakthrough in my music career. I had to prove to myself and everyone around me I made the right decision to focus on music. Sacrifices had to be made - this would have to be my sacrifice!

I headed for my shift as a part-time waitress at a diner. All through the shift, I tried to convince myself I was making the right decision to meet with David Luvas.

After getting off work, I headed home. Mike was waiting by my apartment door, perplexed he queried, “I have been trying to reach you all day. How did the audition go?” I responded with a blank stare and he proceeded to console me, “Not good then, okay its movie night, we’ll have a night out, and forget all the cares of the world.” That was typical of him, always trying to put a positive spin on any situation. He leaned over and kissed me on the forehead.

I had to think fast, this was harder than I had anticipated “Err…I’ve been asked to come to another audition tonight,” I looked away from him because I was an awful liar and did not want my expressions to give away the lies within.

Mike knew me too well - we had been together since high school; we were studying pre-law at the same college before I dropped out.

I opened my apartment door, and let him in. I made a quick dash for my bedroom, locked the door behind me and carried on the conversation from inside my bedroom whilst changing my clothes – less eye contact made it easier to lie.  “Sorry I just came home to change and I’m going to head out again,” He didn't utter a word. As I rambled on, all my words were met with silence from behind the door. I walked out of my bedroom clad in a short revealing black dress and quickly made my way to the door, “You can lockup after you leave. Wish me luck.” I mumbled as I made my way out of the apartment and walked out to the street.

The cool evening breeze felt liberating, I felt free and suddenly the emotions of guilt had given way to confidence.

“You forgot something.” – it was Mike’s voice. I turned around, by now Mike was standing a couple of feet from me and he held out a piece of paper – it was the note from David Luvas! (I must have dropped it back at my apartment). There was a moment of awkward silence.



Many thanks to our volunteer illustrator Zaahira. Look out for Part 3 (the final part) next Friday (September 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment